Skip to main content

OPINION: Warner Media Should Have Never Barred The Briscoes From Their Programming


Yesterday, Tony Khan announced on Twitter that Mark Briscoe will be making his AEW debut tonight. He’ll be taking on Jay Lethal in a match to honour their late brother/friend, Jay Briscoe. Dave Meltzer’s been reporting for months now that Warner Media wouldn’t allow the Briscoe Brothers on TBS and TNT due to a homophobic tweet made by Jay Briscoe years ago. 



Last week, Jay Briscoe passed away. It shook the wrestling world and took away a father from a family. It was a terrible accident and everyone terribly misses Jay. Jay and Mark wrestled as The Briscoe Brothers for Ring of Honor, the company that’s now owned by Tony Khan. When ROH was acquired by AEW, many of the brand’s wrestlers appeared on the show in an effort to build familiarity with the national audience.


Two names missing from Dynamite and Rampage? The Briscoes. Because of a Tweet made years ago, Warner Media reportedly didn’t want to use the brothers. Which I think is insane, considering AEW regularly promotes Sammy Guevara on TBS and TNT TV. Sammy Guevara said something dumb too. He apologized for it and nobody talks about it. Jay Briscoe apologized and acknowledged how irresponsible and misguided his comments were. Yet Warner Media still had umbrage with them. 





Last week following AEW Dynamite, a tribute was taped for Jay Briscoe to air on YouTube and Honor Club. There was no tribute show on Dynamite, like many like myself was hoping for. Why not?


According to Dave Meltzer, Warner Media didn’t want to air a tribute to Jay Briscoe on their programming. Fans were outraged. They called out the hypocrisy of using a wrestler like Guevara week in and week out, yet they wouldn’t allow a tribute show to a wrestling legend. 


They changed course. According to Dave Meltzer in a report on Monday, Warner Media still wouldn’t allow AEW to use Jay’s brother, Mark Briscoe. Then Tony Khan Tweeted that Mark would be wrestling Jay Lethal. People are calling out Dave Meltzer for being wrong and I honestly don’t know. I do know that they could have easily aired a Jay Briscoe show on Dynamite or Rampage last week but didn’t. 


Do you think that public outrage made Warner Media change course on this? Hit me up on Twitter for more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book This Episode 1: The Summer of Punk Rebooked Prelude

     Let’s go back to 2011, specifically June of 2011. CM Punk’s contract is expiring soon and he’s getting ready to have the biggest run of his career. On June 27th, 2011 CM Punk would cut a promo that would have the wrestling world buzzing for years to come. In his promo, Punk said that his contract expired next month and that he, the Number One Contender, would be leaving  WWE with the WWE Championship. He’d also go onto take shots at not only his opponent the following month, John Cena but other icons in the history of WWE. Whether employed by the company or not. He’d also tease defending his WWE Championship in Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling. Essentially he’d be a travelling World Champion, ala the territory days. Well, CM Punk did win the WWE Championship the next month from John Cena at Money in the Bank. However, what would happen after would disappoint wrestling fans more than anything else that’s happened in years.       How t...

New NXT Champion Ethan Page Gets His Side Plates

Ethan Page shocked the world when he won the NXT Championship last night at Heatwave. Well, I should say he stole the Title. You can check out more details here .  NXT's X account posted a video of "Ell Ego" getting the side plates for his newly won Title.  🚨 NEW SIDE PLATES 🚨  Welcome to the era of @OfficialEGO . 😁 πŸ‘ˆ #WWENXT pic.twitter.com/uhY9dX13wj — WWE NXT (@WWENXT) July 8, 2024   I love having "All Ego" on there.  Ethan Page has worked his butt off for years and he deserves the recognition he's getting. I'm thrilled for him to be in the spot that he's in. Something tells me this won't be the last time he holds gold in WWE. 

Jordynne Grace Reveals When TNA Contract Expires

  In a recent appearance on Matt Morgan's show "Gigantic Pop," Jordynne Grace revealed that her contract with TNA Wrestling is set to expire in January. This announcement has set the wrestling world abuzz with speculation about her next move. Grace, known for her powerhouse performances and undeniable charisma, has become a staple of TNA's Knockouts division, earning a reputation as one of the most formidable competitors in women's wrestling today.   Adding fuel to the fire of speculation, Grace made a surprise appearance at this year's WWE Royal Rumble, and also challenged for the NXT Women’s Championship in June. These guest spots showcased her talents to a broader audience and hinted at the possibility of her transitioning to WWE. Fans and analysts alike are now wondering if Grace will make WWE her new home once her TNA contract ends.   Jordynne Grace's potential move to WWE could bring a new dynamic to their women's division. Her unique blend of st...